Sunday, August 03, 2008

No Soft spot for F-spot

AAAARGH. It was right back to the early days for me when I tried to de-dupe the f-spot digital photo-manager. It actually bled anxiety into my day to day life - and its not as if I don't have enough going round at the moment.

Unlike Picasa F-spot has a problem re-duplicating files when uploading- and this is despite them all being ordered by date in folders which I thought would be a bit of a clue.

Anyway decided to use some of my hard earnt command line knowledge to sort it out. Ha - hubris followed by nemesis. I used a command like this

find ~/Photos -iname "*-[23456789].jpg -exec rm {} \;

to locate and remove duplicates (I had found out that was how the system accounted for them by tagging number on the end of the file eg 5678.jpg would have duplicates of 5678-1.jpg 5678-2.jpg et cetera. And yes I did have up to nine duplicates of the same picture.

This worked great - so now I just needed to get rid of the thumbnails. So I selected all and "refreshed thumbnails" assuming they would delete themselves when they saw there was no original file left.

No such luck and it just became very frustrating and actually stressful as I mentioned.

The support seems so meagre - I mean user comprehensible support - and all the classic anti linux arguments sounded in my head. (How can gnome make this the default digital photo program?).

So today I am back on my linux diet and sticking to windows. After all I actually have something TO DO today.

Ha! So there Linux!

PS I just middle-clicked to paste the tags and nothing happened - ha! Windows!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home